If you want to start a website, here’s how to do it in 5 easy steps! When I finally figured out what kind of website I wanted to start, I knew I had to take action FAST. If not, I would come up with 101 reasons not to. That day, I woke up and made the decision it was now or never. When I made my first site, I had no idea what I was doing, but I was determined to figured it out. That’s my motto by the way, “everything is figureoutable.” Since launching TheNavyMom.com website a few years ago, I’ve since made seven different websites. You can too, just follow these five easy steps:
- Find a Domain Name: I like to use GoDaddy to search for domain names because they have a nice user interface to help you choose the right name. If the domain name you want isn’t available, they will give you different suggestions on what you can use. Play around with different word configurations. Always go for the .com as it’s much more search engine friendly. You can use a tool called LeanDomainSearch.com to help you. Don’t buy your domain yet, wait until step 2.
- Set up a Hosting Account: A hosting account is essentially where your website lives online. Once you figure out your domain name, go to Bluehost.com and set up your hosting account. You can get a hosting account with Bluehost for as little as $5.95 per month. They have amazing customer service. When setting up your account, they will ask you what domain you want, you’ll refer back to step 1, enter your domain and you’re ready to go. It’s free when you set up your hosting account with them.
- Install a Website Platform: (WordPress.org) Your WordPress platform is what you will actually build your website/blog on. WordPress.org is the most powerful blogging and website content management system out there. It’s easy to use, Google loves it, it’s safe and secure, mobile friendly and you own it by having control over all advertising, content and changes. Once you’re all set up with Bluehost, all you have to do is click “Install WordPress,” on your Bluehost Dashboard, follow the steps and you’re done.
- Make it Pretty: Once WordPress is installed, you log in by going to yoursite.com/login and put in your credentials (that they gave you in step 3). On your WordPress dashboard, go to appearance and click on themes. WordPress has a ton of free theme templates you can choose from. However, I recommend purchasing a premium theme because it makes they look more professional and they are very easy to set up. I use the DIVI theme by Elegant Themes for most of my websites now. You can click here to check out DIVI. (affiliate link). I love this theme because the Divi Builder makes it so easy to build a beautiful, professional looking site. To install your theme, go to your WordPress Dashboard, click on Appearance>>Themes, the click on “Add New.” You’ll upload the .Zip file. Activate your theme and you’re all set.
- Start Writing! You’ve got your theme, now it’s time to build your pages. WordPress is very easy to use. Just click on “Pages” to create a new page. Start with “Home” and “About” and go from there. When you’re ready to write your first blog post, click on “Posts,” write your post and click “Publish.” Voila! You’re up and going!
GO, take action on your big idea!